165 kilometres from Melbourne, Maryborough was in the height of the Gold Rush between 1851 & 1854. Gold mining was the predominant industry for the region. There are lots of rumours about the station, one being it was meant for Maryborough Queensland and built in Victoria in error. Another being that it was meant for Spencer Street Melbourne and many believe it was a mistake.
However a tender did go out for a station to be built in Maryborough thought to be the ideal central junction for the surrounding areas. The tender demanded a red brick building with bluestone foundations. It was to have a dining room, offices, verandas, accommodation for the station master and plenty of waiting room for travellers. Although supposedly completed in 1890 it didn’t receive its clock until 1914. The red bricks came from a kiln in the local district, the roof slates were brought out from England and the plate glass for the skylights from Melbourne.
This new station was to be built over the existing small station and the final cost blew out to be four times the budget.
In the 1890’s a visit from Mark Twain found him describing this magnificent building as “a station with a town attached”. He found the Maryborough Station to be in his words “wonderful”. He said there was enough room to fit all the population of Maryborough and give them all a sofa apiece and there’d still be room for more.
A two million dollar restoration in 2006-7 makes this magnificent station both historically and aesthetically pleasing for everyone who visits.